Friday 6 January 2012

The Longest Story In The World

The wave of Doctor Who fiction of the 90s all but passed me by, and it shouldn't have done. I think I felt myself a bit above that sort of thing. I remember articles in magazines and rows of books in comic shops, but though I retained a furtive interest in the TV programme, the books were on an altogether less significant level. Or so I thought. I picked up a few over the years- found a lot of them to be junk, but also found a significant number to be hugely entertaining, respectful of the show they had sprung from but also innovative and intelligent in ways the 'new' TV series has only rarely come close to (ooh, controversy).
So what this blog is-
I'm setting myself a wee challenge. What with one thing and another stress has crept into my life in the last few months in ways, frankly, I could do without, and I need entertainment- occasionally even of the mindless variety- to help chill me out and focus me again. I'm hoping the Doctor Who books are going to help me with that. My- frankly hugely unlikely- aim is to read all the New Adventures and 8th Doctor books pretty much in publishing order, and throw a few comments up on here as I go along. As usual with these kinds of things, I'm writing primarily for myself- one of my mental kinks is that a thing never seems entirely real to me until I've written about it- but also with a hope that some poor innocent mind will find what I write to be useful or, damnitall, even entertaining. The different ranges will be mixed up, and there may well be some Big Finishes and other bits in there too. It's my cookie and it'll crumble the way I tell it to. So! From the top gentlemen, please...

No comments:

Post a Comment